Savory Sweet Potato Sides!
When we think of our Thanksgiving feast, we often think of the main-attraction: the turkey! However, let us not forget the tasty bird’s sweet sidekick, the sweet potato! Sweet potatoes are not only nutritious but also very versatile. Take a look at how this sweet “spud” can take your Thanksgiving meal to a whole new level!
When selecting sweet potatoes, choose sweet potatoes that are firm and do not have any cracks, bruises or soft spots. In addition, sweet potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark and well-ventilated place. Avoid refrigerating sweet potatoes, as the cold temperature will negatively alter their flavor.
Sweet potatoes make a nutritious side dish for your feast. They contain carotenoids, which are antioxidants. These natural compounds give sweet potatoes their orange color as well as protect your cells from daily damage. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A with just one sweet potato giving your body 400% of your daily vitamin A needs. Sweet potatoes also provide your body with a good source of B vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, thiamin and zinc. With this powerhouse of nutrition, sweet potatoes have been shown to lower your risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, macular degeneration and obesity.
Are you looking for simple ways to incorporate more nutritious foods into your day? Check out our On-Demand Virtual Nutrition Tours led by our Hy-Vee dietitian team. While watching these store tours from your own home, you are able to learn about foods to add to your cart to give you and your family a healthy boost! Connect with a Hy-Vee dietitian for more ideas, suggestions and health tips.
Mix it up this Thanksgiving by serving up these delicious Garlic Parmesan Smashed Sweet Potatoes!
Garlic Parmesan Smashed Sweet Potatoes
All you need:
¼ cup Culinary Tours salted Irish butter
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp refrigerated garlic paste
½ tsp Hy-Vee salt
½ tsp Hy-Vee black pepper
2 (15 oz) sweet potatoes, cut into 1-in-thick slices; quarter each slice
1/3 cup Soiree three cheese blend shredded cheese
All you do:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a very large rimmed baking pan with foil.
2. Microwave butter in a large microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds or until melted. Stir in chopped fresh thyme, garlic paste, salt and black pepper.
3. Add cut sweet potatoes to butter mixture in bowl; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer in prepared baking pan. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes or until fork-tender; remove from oven.
4. Place oven rack 5 inches from heat; preheat broiler to HIGH. Place a sheet of parchment paper over roasted sweet potatoes in baking pan. Using the bottom of a glass, press down on each potato piece to flatten. Remove and discard parchment paper.
5. Sprinkle smashed potatoes with cheese. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and sweet potatoes begin to crisp. Garnish with additional thyme, if desired.
Recipe source: November 2022 Hy-Vee Seasons magazine
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
11/5/2022 07:46:42 am
Brother blood ever. Any too leg she believe likely. Tv new occur instead.
Comments are closed.
Grain Valley News
Grain Valley News is a free community news source published weekly online.
PO Box 2972
Grain Valley MO 64029