The April election topped the January 13th Board of Aldermen agenda. The board passed an ordinance to place two questions on the ballot authorizing a total of $38,850,000 in bonds for the purpose of building a community campus at the old Sni-A-Bar Farm property.
The ordinance, authorizing a City election to be held on April 7, 2020 to consider two ballot questions for the purpose of approving General Obligation Bonds to fund the municipal complex building project passed with Aldermen West as the only no vote. The first question would authorize $23,500,000 worth of bonds while the second would approve $15,350,000 for a total of $38,850,000.
State law permits a city to incur up to 10% of the City’s assessed valuation for general purposes and an additional 10% for infrastructure improvements, for a total of 20%. The city would utilize most of its current bonding capacity for each purpose. The term of the bonds will be 20 years which is the maximum allowed.
The city plans to host an open house at the current city hall on January 30th to give residents an opportunity to view current facilities for city staff and the police department. Reservations will be required as space is limited; information regarding the open house will be posted soon on the City website.
In other business, the board voted a resolution to continue an agreement with the Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) Solid Waste Management District to provide a Household Hazardous Waste collection service to the residents of the City of Grain Valley. The Board also passed a resolution to renew an agreement with Ray County Sheriff’s Office to provide detention services for persons arrested by Grain Valley Police Department, pending release by court or bond.
A resolution to contract with the Grain Valley Assistance Council for home delivered meals and a resolution continuing OATS bus service in Grain Valley were also passed.
The board also approved a $25,000 payment to the Grain Valley Partnership for economic development services. This is the second year of a three year agreement with the Grain Valley Partnership.
The next meeting of the Grain Valley Board of Aldermen will be held at Grain Valley City Hall on Monday, January 27th at 7:00pm.