What goes best with a cup of coffee? Your answer may have been another cup – but what if we told you turmeric and vitamins?
Many people start their day drinking coffee, mostly to increase their energy and without giving much thought to the health benefits of this ritualistic beverage. The average cup of coffee is more than your jolt of caffeine for the day, having small amounts of nutrients like magnesium and potassium.
Moderate coffee consumption, 3-4 cups a day, may be associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes and Parkinson’s disease.
The Hy-Vee Dietitian Pick of the Month, Starbucks Functional Coffee, adds even more perk to your cup. Starbucks Coffee with Golden Turmeric and Starbucks Coffee with Essential Vitamins are new coffees containing components that provide health benefits above and beyond your typical cup of happiness.
Starbucks Coffee with Golden Turmeric
* House blend coffee with a combination of golden turmeric and warm spices such as ground cinnamon, ginger and black pepper.
* Medium roast coffee
* Turmeric has been used for centuries for both cooking and medicinal purposes. The yellow color associated with turmeric comes from curcumin, which contains the main anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric.
* The combination with black pepper allows for the best absorption of curcumin in the body.
Starbucks Coffee with Essential Vitamins
* Flavorful House Blend coffee crafted with five B vitamins including: B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B12 and biotin.
* B vitamins help support adequate metabolism. Most often associated with energy, it is important to note that B vitamins do not actually provide energy, but rather support the body’s ability to produce its own energy from the foods and beverages we consume.
* Medium roast coffee
Each 8-ounce serving of coffee contains about 95 milligrams of caffeine. For best health benefits, your Hy-Vee dietitians suggest no more than 400 milligrams of caffeine per day. Instead of drinking your next cup of Joe, why not create something in the kitchen with this delicious Coffee Chia Pudding recipe?
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
Megan Callahan is one of your Hy-Vee Corporate Dietitians. She is dedicated to helping people live healthier and happier lives. Megan received a bachelor’s degree in dietetics from Missouri State University. She completed her dietetic internship at the University of Kansas Medical Center, where she also received her Master of Science degree in dietetics and nutrition. Megan has been working with Hy-Vee full-time for 10 years. With a passion for nutrition and wellness, Megan is dedicated to educating customers and promoting healthy lifestyles to our Hy-Vee community. Megan lives in Lee’s Summit with her husband Matt, and their 2 children Kennedy (4) & Carsyn (2).